Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Water Lily


I wanted to do a flower for this challenge and I started with this photo (below) that I took last summer. I edited the photo (in Photoshop and Corel Painter) to boost the value contrast and then printed it on fabric and added the quilting. The size of the quilt is about 9 inches by 12 inches.

Thanks for this challenge.
Jean

5 comments:

Susan B said...

As much as I love the original photo, I think that your enhancements and changing the focal point to a far off-center position has improved the composition. The light and bright colors of the flower against the dark background create a glowing effect that I particularly like. Beautiful quilting, too.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wow, Wow, Wow, this is a beautiful piece of work. You certainly have achieved contrast, beautiful thread painting.
Well done.

Wendy said...

Great piece.... the composition and contrast are really wonderful... lovely quilting.

:Diane said...

Oh my, so pretty. As a lover of the color green, I wish you had included more of the pads, but of course, the lily is the star of the show.

Michigoose said...

I agree, your selection of a portion of the photo and the threadwork, as well as darkening the "water/leaf" aspect makes it a far more powerful piece than the photo.

I really like this. Texture is great, the mystery....good job!

Lisa Q.