Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Slide

22" x 24"

Thinking way back, I remembered an incident when I was maybe 4 years old. My mother worked at a private school and I went to a pre-school program there. I was waiting for her out by myself in the playground, and climbed to the top of the big kids slide - and then was afraid to go down! Mom found me sitting up at the top, higher than she could reach, and had to get help to coax me down. So I drew the slide with exaggerated perspective, to indicate how big it seemed at the time.

The material for the slide is a linen with gold threads woven in, which gives it a nice sheen. I find I remember nothing else about that playground, but there are always weeds that grow close around the edges of things, so I added a bit of greenery to put a bit of color in the piece.

This was a fun challenge for me. I welcome any comments. (My husband will say I should have put myself as a tiny figure at the top, but it feels complete to me!)


6 comments:

Jan said...

The first thing that caught my eye was the exaggerated size of your slide. I taught school for many years and we had a slide like this and I remember having to go up that ladder to held down many a scared child. I love this piece!

Marilyn Wall said...

What fun. Love the details of the slide. I tried to enlarge to get a better view but for some reason it wouldn't get larger. Love it!

FoulkeArt said...

This is a delightful and creative piece. I love the perspective, and the fact that it is an irregular shape. You captured something from childhood that we can all identify with.

Meena said...

Love the irregular shape, too and the slide is a perfect wymbol of childhood fun!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

very cool, Tobi...I love the exaggerated perspective
Cynthia

Linda Mac said...

I, too, love the perspective, and the irregular shape of the piece. Makes it stand out.