Tuesday, September 04, 2012

A Neighborhood of Zucchini


9/28/12
I added some foil on the leaves and zucchini to give more depth and interest to the piece.
=====================
14" x 29½"

As most vegetable gardeners know, if you have zucchinis in your garden, you end up with more than enough to share with the neighborhood, so here is "A Neighborhood of Zucchini", with the repetition of leaf shape as well as the squash and the flowers.  Many years ago, I made a minimal garden catalog purchase that promised five free gifts with any purchase; they sent me five packets of ... wait for it ... you guessed it ... zucchini seed!

The background is silk, the zucchinis are home dec fabric, the leaves are cotton on a fusible stiffener, and sewn on to the background along the veins so they stand out a bit, and finally the flowers are made from Angelina fiber.

I welcome any and all comments on this somewhat late posting!

3 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Great name for your grouping and nice quilt. Fun.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

Very nice, Tobi, and I like your original name. Your leaves lack depth - what if you were to add a few highlights, both there and on the zucchinis?
ANN

Silvia "OrkaLoca" Dell'Aere said...

Hi Tobi, I like the flowers, they can make me drool thinking to fried zucchini flowers! :)
I've to admit that I had look twice to understand where zucchini were, I think they are too hidden by the leaves and too "flat" I agree with Ann hint, to add fe highlights if you want :)