Sunday, August 11, 2013
Framed 10" square
Because of my love of plants and gardening, I have many gardening books. My frustration with all of them is that they try to cram too many photos or a photo of too many plants on the cover. Because of this, I decided to create a book cover that I would like to see. I also was so fond of my idea, I thought it might make a nice series. However, because of the strictness of my design, everything had to be exact. It was much easier on paper than fabric. Paper doesn't stretch and move, sometimes with a mind of its' own.
Because my original photo was very busy with other flowers, it had to be painted over a LOT! I used tiny, iridescent seed beads on the top of solid small seed beads. Those glaring dots in the photo are reflections of light. I stretched the center of the flower with the round handle of my scissors. Then I beaded it and stuffed it. After mounting on the foam core, the perimeter of the 'cone' didn't want to lay flat. I stitched the edges down with clear poly. Now it has the depth that I wanted. I like a lot of depth and texture. I first stitched the petals to one layer of poly batting and a thin backing. After stitching all of the petal veins, I cut around the petals so there was no batting between. Then I made the usual layer of top-batting-backing. I re-stitched around the petals so that they would have dimension. Then I quilted the rest of the piece.