Friday, August 02, 2013

Lord of the Rings

16" x 13½"

It will come as no surprise to those who have seen my early entries that "The Lord of the Rings" is my favorite book so it was my immediate choice for this challenge!  My initial idea was to have just the hand reaching up to the ring strung on a chain, with the title and author, but my husband felt I needed to include the Eye of Sauron.  For that, I used Angelina fiber with some black strands to be the cat-like pupil of the eye.  I used two layers of dark blue organza to somewhat mute the background; both the eye and the hand are between the two layers.  One mistake was to stitch the chain and ring last, because when I was placing them, I found that the chain needed to go behind the eye, and that was a bit tricky!

And while I normally go with less regular shapes, that's not the way books are made, hence the rectangle!

I look forward to your comments.  Thanks for the fun challenge, Sharon.

5 comments:

fastfriday said...

I love this. It would definitely make a great book cover. Pam Clark

Sharon Robinson said...

Love it! I think your husband was right, too. Good choice of materials. It makes you want to open up the book and see what that ring is all about (if you've managed to survive this long without reading the books!)

Pat Havey said...

very textural It gives the feeling of real depth
to the book. Great interpretation.

LindaBN said...

beautifully executed.
lord of the rings trilogy is one of my favorites too.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite books and what a wonderful cover this would be for it!