Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Stranger in a Strange Land



Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein was one of my favorite books, it was absolutely the most influential book I've ever read. I read it when I was 15, about the time you start to think as yourself, and it taught me to think about fairness, love, acceptance, and most of all, truth. Do you remember the Fair Witness concept?
 Yes, its view of women is dated, but they were always treated with love. Then there's the whole question of the true identity of Valentine Michael Smith. I recommend a reading or rereading of it to everyone. Anyone younger than a Boomer should keep in mind it is historical science fiction.  It is also the first part of a trilogy and really more spiritual than science fiction.

I uploaded two images; the first is my book cover (I love this challenge!) and the second is the cover as experiment. I'm going to finish it in the manner of Susan Lenz, a tutorial of which is on her blog, http://artbysusanlenz.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-make-in-box.html

I look forward to your comments.  

Suzanne Thompson
www.texturedwords.com 

4 comments:

Tobi said...

Possibly my second favorite book, Suzanne! I haven't reread it for a while, but your cover reminds me of the character saying "I am only an egg," meaning that he is young and inexperienced. Do I grok correctly?!

Sharon Robinson said...

Really nice! I loved that book too. I read it for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and I agree with all you said. But I didn't grok the egg until Tobi mentioned it.
The "in-box" method looks very interesting, I hope you'll post the finished version back on the blog. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I don't know the book, or remember the concept, but I like the design you made for the cover!

fastfriday said...

I really like the weave effect you've achieved in the second image...color choices too. I read the book so long ago that I don't recall the 'Fair Witness' concept. Maybe I need to read it again.