Thursday, October 04, 2007

Child's Town


The inspiration for this quilt was finding a drawing of a house thatI had made at age 5 -plus the final instruction for the challenge to have fun! I tried to make the houses, trees, hills and car have a childlike and spontaneous look. All parts of the quilt are fused and then machine quilted. I'm not sure how it works design wise, but I do think it shows depth in several ways. Let me know if gives you as much fun as I had creating it.
I tried unsuccessfully to add the drawing I made at age 5-the quilt was not an exact replica but I used the curtains at the windows, the colorful roof and the sun in the quilt.
Nancy Schlegel

6 comments:

Ann Morrell said...

I love it! I have done this with many of my grand kids drawings ..turned them into small wall hangings..there is something so free and easy with a child's work...think we lose that "free" spirit as we get older. You were a really good artist at five...I still had arms coming out of the head and legs coming from the neck at that age. You on the other hand saw sides of buildings...it might have been neat if you could have scanned and posted the original piece of art that inspired you.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Nancy - your quilt is charming. The wonky houses, the way the car sits on the road, curvy hills - they all give it a folk art feel which is fun to look at. I too would enjoy seeing the original artwork if you can add it.

Roberta

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Nancy,
YOur piece looks fun and spontaneous. It has the appeal of a Grandma Moses painting - childlike and yet complex at the same time.
Kathy L

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a fun quilt! It seems reminiscent of Laura Wasilovski's(spelling?) style. I want to go 'hiking' in those mountains...
Cherie

brendaj said...

Hi Nancy,
I too really like the folk art quality of this piece. The fabrics used on the hills really add to the sense of depth as well. Great job.
Brenda

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Nancy,
I think this is a wonderful tribute to your childhood creativity! Love the houses and trees...exactly how a child would do them. It does show depth with the driveways and the how the trees and house get smaller in the distance.

I'm glad you're with us!
Cynthia