Friday, October 05, 2007

Haunted House?



I love the architecture theme of this challenge, and what everyone has done with it. For some reason, I felt like piecing (not that there's anything wrong with that), so I decided to try to create some abstract "portal" blocks out of batiks, using value change to create the effect of depth.

I used a takeoff of a crazy log cabin block, and just started sewing blocks with no preconceived idea of what size they should be or anything. The first one came out giant sized (as you can see compared to the others). I then just kept making blocks until I got tired of them, and sliced them up until I could piece them together into this one piece. It is layered with peltex as batting so hopefully the weird shape will hold together, and machine quilted with King Tut.

I like the way it ended up looking sort of like a haunted house, but I don't think there is enough value contrast to create the depth effect. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks for another great challenge.

Brenda Jennings

6 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Brenda - I think you succeeded in creating the depth you were after. The way the "wings" step back from the larger front house makes it work. I don't see it so much as a haunted house. It seems like a futuristic house - and it is another that appears to be flating in space. Neat.

Roberta

Carole said...

I really like this piece.When I grow up I can hardly wait to do something like this. My pieces tend to be 'the real thing'... frustrating for me because I would like to break out of that mold.
Carole

Susan B said...

This reminds me of a photo I saw in an architecture book recently, of the "habitat" apartments build in Montreal in the 1960's. It was a very modern concept in its day, modular living spaces stacked on one another. Your pieces also has a very modern, or as Roberta said, futuristic feel.

Susan B.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

It does have a futuristic feel. Putting the wings behind gives the sense of depth. Maybe a lighter color would have made them recede more - not sure if you needed to do that.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I, like Carole, am stuck in "reality" mode. I love the abstract but just don't get how to do it? This is a really interesting rendition of the theme. It took me a while staring at it to see the "buildings" or portals, but suddenly they popped out at me. What if the outside edge of your 'log cabin' were not so close in color and value as the background? Might it pop even more?
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Brenda,
Great piece...it definitely is your style with the shapes within and the shape of the piece itself. I think the depth aspect is successful as it is. If you were looking for more pop, you could try what Cheri suggested or use a wider variety of fabrics throughout the piece (which would add more variety and interest also).

I like the variegated thread and quilting lines, too

Cynthia