Sunday, July 27, 2008

Challeng #23 Rhoda Forbes


I really enjoyed this challenge and certainly have other ideas swimming around in my head.
I was drawn to the Andy Warhol picture of Marilyn. So I choose to do a focal point with large background, like his.

Last winter I fooled around with the Tsukineko inks and did some fabric portraits. For this challenge I used the portrait of my grandaughter, dressed in old fashioned clothing. It was done with one color, and was a challenge too.
I framed her picture in black and appliqued it to the background. I did do some vertical quilting, which does not show up in the picture. I felt that the vertical lines well suited this type of art, rather than an all over quilting pattern.
Thanks for the challenge Brenda, I will be doing more of this.

11 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

I have some of those inks but haven't really done anything with them. Your piece is a wonderful inspiration.
Betty

Joni said...

Rhoda,
You really have alot of talent with the Tsukineko inks. Your grandaughter is beautiful. I like the color of the background as it sets off the sepia tones of your drawing. Very nice! Joni

Cherie in Del Mar said...

You are a wonderful portrait artist Rhoda! Have you been painting them for a long time?

Your quilt looks very Victorian to me. How beautiful!

Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Joni, thanks for noting the color match, the picture is poor, but you are correct the background does compliment the seipia tones. Cherie, no I haven't done many portraits, just started to play with it last winter . thanks for your feedback.

LAQuilts said...

Great piece - I like how the ink and back ground match. Have you quilted it yet?

Wendy said...

Your ink drawing is wonderful! Fabulous piece.... now I wanna get my inks out of the drawer and play with them!

Carole said...

When I grow up I will be able to do this!
Beautiful! Will you give this to your
granddaughter? What does she think of it?
Is the background manipulated fabric? Velvet? Looks good, whatever it is.
Keep up this work, Rhoda.. a real skill to be sure.

Unknown said...

I agree, this is beautiful and does look very Victorian. You did such a great job with the portrait and the background sets it off wonderfully! Will this be a gift now?

brendaj said...

Hi Rhoda,

WOW, fantastic job with the portrait, and the final piece is a great interpretation of the challenge. Thanks for sharing; hope your granddaughter loves it.

Brenda

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Just to answer a few questions. The background is a dark burgundy batik. Yes it is quilted, but just simple verticle lines. I didn't want to take away from the picture. For now it hangs in my house, but I'm sure my grandaughter will receive it. She does really like it.
Thanks for all of the constructive criticism.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Rhoda,
This is lovely! Besides the sweet portrait, I really like the background you chose...it adds some visual texture and contrast.
Great job
Cynthia