Thursday, July 31, 2008

Flight Line



This was interesting! My quilts are usually filled with many fabrics. This one has two!!! It WAS a challenge for me to work like this.

The quilt is 11" x 12 1/4". The background is a slightly mottled grey. The "things" on the flight path are from a very reflective liquid lamé which was attached with WonderUnder. As I turn my head to look at it from different angles, the colors change from gold, to blue, to green, and things in between. The quilting was done with a variegated (black to light grey) Sulky. It is not free-motion quilted---rather just a plain straight stitch.

I originally planned to have this turned a quarter but somehow didn't like the large item at the bottom. For me, the small one at the bottom seems to make the pattern come toward me, a rising up.

Comments are welcome.

Sally Field

7 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

So simple, yet so effective. Lot's of movement with the focus points and the quilting.

Wendy said...

Lots of movement and focus. The focus shapes are very interesting... bugs? UFO's? and the lame just makes them pop off the background!

Carole said...

Very effective.... what would it have been like with just one?
Say the big one?
Just a thought.
I love that lame fabric, I haven't tried it as an applique but can see I must.
Carole

Joni said...

Sally,
This piece looks like paratroopers to me, falling into a whirlpool. It is amazing how the very simple shapes become whatever you imagine them to be. I like the flow of the quilting lines too. Very nice. Joni

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a neat quilt Sally! I picture some alien flock of birds?, beetles? or ??? on migration back to outer space...especially with that holographic fabric! Fun!
Cherie

brendaj said...

Hi Sally,

It IS interesting how the shapes turn into different things to different people. I was thinking about the sea turtles in Finding Nemo floating through the deep sea current. Love the fabric and the quilting lines really add to the movement. This is also a really good example of how the quilting can add a lot of interest to the background without competing with the subject.

Brenda

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sally, so glad you could join in the challenge...we missed you.
I like the piece...there's a strong feeling of inevitability, of falling, of depth. Excellent job on the perspective created with the differing sizes of the motif and the quilting lines.
Cynthia