Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Joanna Strohn's Southwestern Focus



25" x 28" - commercial cotton fabrics

I almost forgot about this month's challenge as my focus was on the quilting retreat I was going to be attending. Fortunately I remembered as I was about to dash out the door. I'd grabbed my stash of southwestern fabrics, planning to do other projects.

I had no idea what to do for this challenge. My inspiration came from June Davila and Elin Waterson's Art Quilt Workbook. I selected five fat quarters I thought would work well together, put the fabric with the horses on top of the pile, then began to slice and dice. Then came the fun of arranging them and pulling other fabrics to join the segments. I didn't finish anything at the retreat. Instead I stopped at the quilt shop on the way home to buy more fabric, including the great border fabric from Ricky Tims. I'd used black to join some of the segments. Decided it didn't work well so did some unsewing. I only had a little bit of the turquoise fabric but my roommate came to the rescue. She had her husband bring her southwestern fabrics and there was just enough for my needs. Serendipity!

The fun comes now in quilting this. I think I'll add some hand embroidery and maybe some beading or crystals for the gecko eyes.

I like this because it reflects a style I am evolving: pieces that draw a viewer in. The closer one gets to my work the more one sees in it. I think that's from having had eye problems and always wanting to look closely at art.

The best thing: I have four more pieces to complete! While similar, each is different and delightful.

Thanks so much for this wonderful challenge! As always, comments are most welcome.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What fun Joanna! I hope you will post the others as you finish them. Will you join them into one quilt, or keep them separate?

Good luck in your job/life change. I feel for you!...But you know the old adage about when a door closes another opens :-)

Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

This is a wonderful, no focus piece. Your choice of sashing adds to the overall feel of no focus. great work.

Anonymous said...

The crazy quilt method is a natural for this challenge. I love the variety of trim you used to join the segments. The turquoise really pops out of all that red and orange and adds interest. But no one bit claims the focus.

Penny Irwin

Wendy said...

I think I have all those fabrics, too! This piece just goes to show how we an combine lots of stuff and it all works! (Was it Eleanor Burns who said "all reds clash well together"?)

Carole said...

Great use of fabrics and I agree, the 'grouting' between the shapes adds to the no focus part of the challenge.
Well done, please post the others as the become completed.
Carole

Unknown said...

this is GREAT Joanna! I LOVE the colors and would love this as a whole quilt :-)

brendaj said...

Hi Joanna,

I love your piece; lots of variety, but it all works so well together. So glad you had a chance to participate in the challenge.

Brenda

Betty Donahue said...

Bright, cheerful, gorgeous fabrics.
Love it.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joanna,
You're showing your great sense of color again in this piece...great job!
Cynthia