Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Printer Blues






First piece - response from DH - is this an ugly fabric challenge

Second Piece - a little better - let's take it one more step.

Final Piece - The Printer Blues
After being asked if this was an ugly fabric challenge - I reworked the piece twice. I took all the bits and pieces of a quilt I am working on - then I covered it with a tulle and quilted the fabric. After that I picked a blue/green - fabric to make a grid - that didn't work so well - I then re-cut and used a black fabric to make a grid - a little better but not much - I then sliced all the color square into little four patches - tossed half of them and added more black. It reminded me of printer ink. The final size is 8 1/2 x 8 1/2. It is more is more - not creating any focal point. It is named Printer Blues.

Lisa
Sunny Seattle

11 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great changes in the piece, from start to end. I like the way you've presented the NO focal point.

Jan said...

I think you've ended up with a great piece! The quilting and scattered, cut up pieces really make for a great lesson in creating from something that didn't work. I love what happened. What does your husband think of the piece now?

Joni said...

Lisa,
Isn't it great to have a resident art critic? It does push us to do more and more creative work. I like the way this piece progressed, and it is very kind of you to share the whole process with us. Your final piece is very lively and interesting - no ugly fabric there! Joni

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I especially love the added drama of the quilting on this one Lisa. It looks so very geometric! It must have been so much fun, chopping and rearranging. I like it a lot!

Cherie

Anonymous said...

Your final result is interesting and lively. Plenty of motion but no focal point.
Penny Irwin

Wendy said...

Definitely like the final piece more! The repetition of the teal on black gives unity to the total look.

Carole said...

Ditto to the above comments, and I want to add that your quilting lines are apropos to the overal 'no focus' that you were able to achieve in the many pieces to this quiltlet. Even the binding does not compete.
Well done!

Unknown said...

I love the final piece Lisa!

brendaj said...

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for sharing your process. My husband gives almost all my stuff a funny look! I think your final result turned out really well. I really love the striped binding. It keeps the pieces from flying off into space! Great job.

Brenda

Betty Donahue said...

I don't think your first one is ugly but I really like the final piece so much more. Perseverence pays off.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for sharing the journey to a successful piece. I love the final piece...great color, contrasts and variety. The quilting lines are perfect in that color and the lines create some movement and depth.
Great job!
Cynthia