Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Diatom and cells

True to form, I was a little late getting started on this, although it is a subject I was interested in pursuing prior to getting the challenge. The odd thing is that over two years ago, I had the idea and started collecting images to do a series on wood....but I didn't do it for this challenge.
This piece is based on a photomicrograph of a fossil marine diatom Actinoptychus heliopelta found in diatomaceous earth, Dunkirk, Maryland, by Stephen S. Nagy.". I intend to put some beads on the center of it and also on the orange bits which go into the center. It measures about 17" in diameter.
You can see Dr. Nagy's original image here
I have never done a circular (or roughly circular) piece before. I also did a lot of multiple layer machine quilting in order to make the veining in the middle (the part that looks roughly like aligator skin). While I have had Shiva paintstiks for about 4 years, I've never used them until now.
I must admit, the quilting, and the fact that I fused all those little yellow triangles down, then satin stitched around each and every one, as well as satin stitched the area on the inside of the tooth, took me far longer than I had ever anticipated.
While waiting for the Shiva to dry, I quickly did this piece since the first one was being a "slow Friday Fabric Challenge". This is a rendition of a tight Cellular Junction. A cellular junction is the structure in a multi-celled organism.
I saw the matte acrylic beads and wanted to use them. The body of the piece is made from two different colors of polar fleece with a "pillow" in between to give it depth.

Because I didn't think it looked finished, I added this fringe on the bottom. The piece measures 10" x 14 1/2"

Lisa Broberg Quintana (aka Michigoose)

2 comments:

Joni said...

Your diatom has fantastic texture, and color. I enjoyed your link to the website with all the amazing photos taken under the microscope. It is an awesome world we live in. Nice job on this challenge!

Unknown said...

Thanks Joni. Dr. Nagy is a really nice guy to boot! There's so much you can explore with this topic...now if only I could get around to doing the project I thought of in this line two years ago!