Thursday, February 04, 2010

Fractured Butterfly


I worked on this a bit at a time as I had energy and time available from buying a new TV, recovering from vacation and helping hubby repair a slew of things that broke all at once around the house. It is only 9 x 12 inches and currently not bound, but quilted (finally).
I think I did manage to fit in almost all the requirements of the challenge, while still focusing on my design. My colors are orange, blue and green, which I used in different values and patterns of fabric. I considered brown to be a very dark orange! I used several different types of fabrics in the butterfly-velvet for the body, dupioni silk, decorator fabric, and cottons for the wings. The background is all quilting cottons. Everything is fused or glued down. The butterfly wings were cut according to a pattern, but the background pieces were just free cut and plunked down on top of fusible web. I did end up replacing a blue and a green piece in the medium area today before photographing the piece. I like the movement that the different fabrics in the sky give and the mosaic effect in the butterfly. I'm sure I learned a new technique from this challenge!

6 comments:

Chris Predd said...

Nancy, your fracturing of the butterfly is wonderful, such nice color contrast to the background. I felt I was viewing the movement of your butterfly toward the light....nice background contrast too.
Chris Predd

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Your mix of fabrics in the sky and hillside create such a lot of movement and make the scene so alive. The butterfly is stunning! You have certainly accomplished this challenge with flying colors (pun intended :-))
Cherie

Jan said...

What a lovely little piece, Nancy. I love the fabrics and fracturing on the butterfly. He's so soft looking just like a really butterfly. He appears to be flying over the crest of a hill to the early light of morning. Well worth waiting to see and a wonderful use of only 3 colors and fracturing.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I really like the fracturing you did in the butterfly - very effective.

Joni said...

Nancy, wonderful job on this challenge- your butterfly seems to float above everything moving from dark to light. I like the stained glass effect of your fracturing on the butterfly. What I like most is the way you fractured the background of this piece with graceful curved segements. It all pulls together for a beautiful piece.

katieinnebraska said...

.