Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Woven Bird

I had a tough time with this challenge; I just couldn't wrap my mind around all the variables. I have been wanting to try fabric weaving, though, so I went in that direction. I chose the colors blue, green, and orange.

I printed a photo of a bird I painted a while back onto fabric, then wove that with some hand-dyed orange fabric. I lightened/darkened various orange squares with fabric markers, and recolored the bird. I thread-painted the bird and zig-zag stitched the edges of the woven strips.

This piece is very small--6"x6"--since it will serve double-duty as my weekly 6x6 journal square:


Although I ended up liking the green "corner caps," I originally added them because I have a terrible time folding over fabric from the back to make a self-binding; I can never get the corners correct and always end up cutting too much fabric. If anyone has any tips on how to do that, I would appreciate it :-)

I'm not thrilled with the end result, but I did enjoy trying out the weaving technique and will do more of that.

Michele

8 comments:

Chris Predd said...

I love the background, Michele! especially that you made it uneven.
The bird looks good against it.
Chris

Pam Harris said...

That's a lot of detail for only 6" X 6"!! Great job, pleasing colors and nice thread work on your bird.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

In my mind the weaving is a form of fracturing the fabric. Your choice of colors and the uneven lines for the weaving add a lot of interest.

Carole said...

Michelle, I think this is darling.. and I agree that weaving is a form of fracturing.
I am not sure of your question regarding your green corners but if it has to do with binding, I can help.... e-mail me privately, or even check the group site and see if there is something there in the files.

Jan said...

I like the many different methods of fracturing everyone has come up with. Your weaving background is very nice and with the wavy lines makes the detail behind your cute bird more dynamic. Great for a 6" square piece!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a super idea for fracturing! I love the 'wonky' woven technique. Your happy little bird looks right at home on it :-)
Cherie

Chris said...

I, too, had a bit of a slow start, wrapping my head around the various requirements of color, theme, and technique. But once I "fractured" them into three issues, it was better, and you obviously got it just right. Well done! Reminds me of sitting in the kitchen (maybe with a checkered tablecloth) and looking out at a bird on a branch right outside the window.

Joni said...

Michele, wish I'd thought of the woven tecnique to do my entry- it's wonderful! Your cheerful little robin gets me hoping that spring will be soon. Nicely done!