Monday, August 06, 2012
It was the flowers of Emil Nolde that got me started, using Tsukineko inks and painting directly on a piece of muslin, and then thread-painted over that. However, it all seemed too diffuse and unsatisfying, so I went on from there with beads, and did heavier beading than I have ever done before. The beads in the centers of the flowers were simply glued in en mass which gives a more nubbly texture. As a shortcut, I used Shrinky-Dinks for the leaves, which came out nice and bright. As a final touch, I painted with a clear glitter paint in strokes away from the flowers.
I find that I like the flowers but not the rest of the "canvas" here. Suggestions and critiques are welcome (including a better title!).