Monday, February 11, 2008

The Whole is Greater Than the Sum of its Parts


I am approaching a major birthday this year and wanted to portray who I am, but I have done so many things that it is impossible to “collage” a lifetime. So, this is where I am now. All my children, grandchildren, cats, job and hobbies are shown. The split in the “hairdo” has two meanings: one is my hair before and after chemo, the second is the fact that I use both sides of my brain – every day! The only thing not noted is that I would not be who I was today if it hadn’t been for my late husband’s guidance toward the real and the practical.

The techniques used, which are not necessarily my favorite, are portrait painting on fabric and photo imagery. First attempt and definitely need more practice.

Karen Markley

2 comments:

Sue Andrus said...

Karen,
You really did a good job with your face. Great shading, etc. Lots of meaning in this.
Sue A

Cay Denise said...

Hi Karen,

Your first attempt at portrait painting is great! I also appreciate your explanation about the two lengths of hair...makes perfect sense after reading the reason!

There is alot going on in this piece that might work even better if split in to multiple pieces.

Your portrait is so nice and powerful in its depiction of health and health challenges. I can only imagine there is much more to say about your chemo experience than what you've been able to represent in this piece. I'd like to encourage you to think about going there, if you're up to it.