Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Button Plant

I know who the button thief is in my house -- it's my female cairn terrier.  She chews the buttons off the laundry.  She's crafty and clever, so I keep checking Etsy thinking maybe she's putting together a line of button-embellished designer bones!  Otherwise, I'm not sure just where the buttons go.  Here are ones she didn't get.  I tried to stay in a limited palate tonally, both with the fabric and buttons.  I'm not sure there's enough contrast to make the leaves pop.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?


Button, button, who's got the button?
Robert Hartley

8 comments:

Julia in NZ said...

The buttons do a great job, flowing up the main leaf stems. There is contrast, and nature is subtle. You possibly could have defined the outer edges of the leaves more with a couple of rows of dark stitching, but the piece works well as it is.

Linda Mac said...

I love the colors you used, and they make a very cheery quilt. Good job.

FoulkeArt said...

The colors are great, true to nature, and the buttons are good contrast to the leaves. I especially like the quilting on the leaves!

Sharon Robinson said...

I also think the colors are wonderful. Very happy and spring-like. Just what we need this time of year. Maye you could accentuate the stem a little more, it seems to vanish into the background, but I really like this piece!

ann said...

Very elegant! Fabulous color combinations.

Tobi said...

The texture difference helps differentiate the leaves from the background, but a greater contrast for their edges would certainly help.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

nice piece, love your colors.

Marilyn Wall said...

Robert, I agree that the fabric choices are wonderful. I think that the outline if solid green behind the leaves separates them enough for them to show well against the multi green background. I think elegant is a good description of your piece.