Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sérusier’s View

16" x 9"

I spent several days procrastinating and looking at Post Impressionism and Fauvism books. Yesterday I decided to take a different approach and picked a photo of mine to interpret.

Then I looked through the books again to choose a painting to use as inspiration to interpret my photo (taken at the Plimoth Plantation in Massachusetts.)
I was drawn to Paul Sérusier’s, Le Talisman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_S%C3%A9rusier. I like the unusual colors he chose, and I thought the large flat areas of color would be easy to translate into cloth.

I put the image of the painting away until I had finished my quilt, because I didn’t want to be tempted to copy what Sérusier had done.

I still love Sérusier’s painting, but I don’t care much at all for what have I done. I thought I would use the warm colors for the very hot day, and the cooler colors for bit of shade that the plants were providing. What I ended up with is a very otherworldy looking something. I will call this a fun “learning experience.”

2 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Linda, I just love the texture and shapes you got in this piece...very intriging like an underwater scene. I think one of the differences between the coloring of your piece compared to Serusier's is that yours has more muted colors in the background and his has brilliant colors. Would you like your piece better with brighter hues of yellow? How about if the stripes of color in the background were fewer, more chunky and/or less variety of color?

I love your quilting as usual!
Cynthia

brendaj said...

Hi Linda,

I really like this "otherworldly" piece, although I don't know how you got there from that photo LOL.

I like how the orange stripe on top echos the orange at the bottom, but there's something about the coral or yellow just below there that doesn't seem to sit right; again, I can't put my finger right on it; maybe if that had been that pale yellow it would tied it together more going all the way down.

The quilting is wonderful and really adds to the feel of the piece. This one is really striking. Great job!