Thursday, August 02, 2007




From ERTE'S Hearts and Zephyrs series...my interpretation of "Heart-I Purple".


I have always loved all of Erte's work and really had fun recreating one of his pieces in fabric. It turned out to be the most involved and labor intensive of all my challenge pieces so far, due to all the beading and painting lace with metalic Tsukineko ink. The fabrics are suede cloth , dupioni silk, and a holographic gold. Background is a metalic look cotton.


Comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated......Cherie

5 comments:

LAQuilts said...

Striking the beaded detail is amazing. Have to say I like it better than the original since there is so much more texture.

Tina Marie Rey said...

OH, but it was so worth the work. The beading adds so much depth and texture. It is absolutely stunning.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cheri,
I'm not familiar with much of Erte's work...but I certainly like your piece! It has a decadent feel...very mardi gras, rich and mysterious. And all those wonderful details of the beading and lace are accomplished beautifully.

Is there any quilting on it? Are you planning to do some? I guess I would add some to the background. Maybe a little hand quilting or intermittent seed stitching (dashes or x's)? You could print a couple copies and mark them up with the quilting so you can preview the effect.

Great job again, Cherie. I really like the edging, too.

Cynthia

Linda Cline said...

I wasn't familiar with Erte at all until I looked him up on the internet just now. Great interpretation. Your fabric choices are perfect and your work is great. I love all the detailed work you have put into this.

Quilting in the background might be good to remove some of the puffiness in the background. But the simple uncluttered background contrasts nicely with the detail in the rest of the quilt. You could easily ruin it by adding more quilting unless it was very subtle. I think I would leave it as is.

Great work.

brendaj said...

Hi Cherie,

Wow, this is great! The beadwork is just amazing, and all the colors and textures are just perfect.

Great job.