Friday, August 31, 2007

Challenge #12 - "Excess Baggage"


"Excess Baggage" has an upholstery sample for the background. The irregular patches are hand woven fabrics from a student. I love creating texture, both visual and tactile. A few of the elements in my quilt are from the scrapbook section of Michael's - the Chinese knot, the bronze ovals, and the ribbon. Compostion was the toughest to achieve. I had problems placing the rectangles and still creating movement throughout the piece. I think what worked to unify the elements were the "danglies" in the center, and the springs, best seen in the close up on the Yahoo page.


Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Ann in Walnut, CA

4 comments:

Linda Cline said...

I love the textures in this piece. It's difficult to put such an assortment of embelishments together in one piece without it looking like a scrap heap. Organizing them this way really works; makes it look more planned.

The parrott is a great focal point. I like the contrast between the intricate embroidery work on the parrot and the casualness of the couched raveled threads.

There is something new to see in each area. Keeps you looking for a long time. Good colors. Good balance. Great work.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ann - oh what a lot of wonderful stuff you have put together. You have achieved a nice balance between all the elements. Very appealing!

Roberta

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ann, Very creative, interesting use of embellishments...great job! Full of texture with the dangling, frayed edges and hardware. The composition is balanced and unified and the color scheme unusual and effective. I wouldn't change a thing!
Did you try any surface design techniques on this piece?

I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cynthia

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

Hi Cynthia,
I wondered if anyone would ask that question! I used beading and embellishment as my surface design elements as well as the couched strands found on the panels and the upper left corner.
Ann