Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Spirit Renewed



My series for this challenge – and a few of the next ones will be based on the concept of “spirit”. I like to draw abstract images, and thought I would try to capture rather abstract concepts in this series. My sketch was made before the challenge was announced, but that was a very good thing, since I just had until today to complete the piece as we are packing for a trip tomorrow. I chose to use the vertical orientation and the color scheme of yellow-orange/ purple-violet. I’ve been going broke on fusible webbing lately so I have tried to develop a method of getting what I want – free flowing designs, without fusing. I made my design on freezer paper labeled it and cut out the pieces. Then I ironed the cut pieces onto fabrics that I intended to use. Leaving a liberal seam allowance I cut out the fabric pieces. Using the batting as my background I just raw edge pieced them into place. After trimming the fabric to the stitch line I used machine embroidery to give a finished look to the piece. My piece is now partially quilted, I added the backing and proceeded to add detail quilting which is not yet finished in this piece. I hope to add the remaining quilting, some embellishment and the binding (a dark purple) to the quilt when we get back from our trip. The quilt measures 20” x 31.5”. I would love to hear any ideas on embellishments for this quilt (a weak point for me). I have been amazed at the depth of really good work coming out of this group on this challenge especially – we really ought to have a FFFC show.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have ideas for embellishments since that is a week point for me too :-), but I have to tell you that this is beautiful just the way it is!
BTW I hear you about going broke on fusible! I have been trying to do more without it myself.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

This piece is lovely. It has such a peaceful sense to it. My minister keeps asking for wallhangings for our church and I could see this one hanging there and looking beautiful!
Kathy Angel Lee

Linda Cline said...

This looks like fire, but softer and gentler.

I don't think it neccessarily needs embellishing. It looks great the way it is. But I can perhaps see couched yarns or ribbons embellishing this piece.

Heavy embellishing could dramatically change the look of it. Light embellishing could look like a timid afterthought.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What beautiful flowing lines in this piece! It certainly captures a feeling of renewed spirit. So nice!
Cherie

Ann Morrell said...

Joni...Love your piece!

I too use too much and spend too much on fusing...I found a small needle nose tip bottle in which I put a little diluted white Elemer's white glue (not permanent glue) so I can make little dots around the edge...hit it lightly with the iron and it is ready to sew down..it works like a charm and if it needs to be removed you can just "pop" it off. I like it better than water based glue stick. I have also found that my pieces look more like appliqued pieces as they aren't so flat with fusing.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Joni - What a lovely work - your use of complementary colors is more muted than most of us used and it fits very well with your theme. It is very serene. The darker pieces rising toward the top do give a feeling of growth and renewal.

I am not an embellisher so, to me, this piece is finished. I agree with Linda though - if you are going to embellish, beads, yarn, etc. you will probably be most satisfied if you don't skimp on them.

janice pd said...

I love the organic lines of this piece. I commend you on improvising a way to do without the fusible. I just started using liqui-fuse for the same reason and LOVE it.

Very peaceful and serene feel to this piece.

anna k. said...

Such a wonderful piece.
I would leave it as it is; so peaceful and uplifting

Betty Warner said...

This beautiful piece is fine as it is. If you want to embellish it I think yarns and ribbons, go easy on the glitz, would work.

Carole said...

Hi Joni...... another great piece, I am impressed with how you used the softer colors on the wheel for your background and the stronger ones to make your point. I never seem to think to do that.
It is great and I really cannot think where embellishing this one would improve it, change yes.....
good job!

LAQuilts said...

I do like this piece - I'd stay away from embellishments - my general feeling on embellishments is they need to be thought of in the design - not something added after the fact. But if you insist - I'd add some clear sparkle beads to emphasize the lines of the flame - so it just catches your eye.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, this has a stained glass window feel to it. Lovely flowing shapes in a vertical composition...wonderful! It does have a feeling of renewal and strength along with grace.
Great job! I wouldn't add embellishments...though a bit of metallic thread in the quilting could add a subtle sparkle.
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I love the graceful lines and that you echoed them in the quilting. I like the effect of the one print that has both the compliments. It looks almost translucent among the solid colors.
And embellishment? I can imagine a line of small dew drops along the upper edges of some of the shapes.

Betty Donahue said...

Very peaceful. Except for the colors it is like watching the flames in a fire place.
Betty