Thursday, March 26, 2009

Challenge #30 Serpentine


It has been a while since I have been able to complete a challenge (went back to work part-time and four kids in school/sports). Although this one is quite late, at least it finally got done, and just in time for the next challenge! Continuing with my "tribal" motif series, this piece is loosely based on the serpent mound in southern Ohio. I used the yellow/orange, orange/red, blue split complementary color scheme. The piece is fused and machine quilted. The blue cording is hand couched (which is why this took so long to get done; I don't like sewing anything by hand!) I would really appreciate any comments; I am particularly thinking it may need something in the center of the quilted sun motif. Thanks as always for a great challenge.

Brenda Jennings

3 comments:

Sandra Wyman said...

Love the shapes and colours. If you decide to do something extra to the quilted (and I can't make up my mind whether it needs it ir not) I would make it fairly subtle maybe a simple stitched spiral in a slightly paler version of the blue - try just laying various thicknesses of thread on to see what works - but don't stitch unless you're really sure it needs it!

Sandy said...

Hi Brenda, I love this. Very swirly and hot sun, like the tribal motifs originally tried to represent.

I think you are right about something in the sun. It is about balance I think.
What if you just put a largish blue ethnic looking bead in the centre. It would bring the eye to that area and give ballance without taking away from the swirl.

I really like how the red orange rays actually have a swirly pattern on them as well. The unity in the piece is very well done.
Sandy in the UK

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Brenda...better late than never! It was worth waiting for...very cool, I mean hot, piece! The combination of curves and straight lines is very striking. Did you consider adding any embellishment in the upper right where you have just the quilting? It might help balance the 2 strong spiral elements if there was something. Oh, I just saw that Sandy suggested a bead...that's a good idea...maybe 1 large bead and 2 other smaller ones scattered in that area?
Nice job
Cynthia