Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Last Waltz, Last Moon


It was a Challenge indeed, for the S-curve all I could think of was a dance... so went with it. It helped having watched the American Dance finals.. so that was my inspiration. Also it was hard choosing a color, but I like yellow. Yellow is this years color...plus it is so cheery. It has been said yellow is very hard to use because it cannot be looked at for long, that the eye needs somewhere to rest...that is where the split complemenary colors take the focus away from the background. I used yellow with violet, then red-violet and blue-violet.
The red-violet and its paler color, as well as the violet are kimono silk, the moons are batiked cotton in violet and blue-violet. The background is wool roving overlaid with chiffon and needlepunched for a scrunchy texture. If you look carefully you will see the chiffon casts a shadow over part of the moon as it is loose.
Again it is an irregular shape and is hand-stitched.
I look forward to your comments.
Carole

6 comments:

janice pd said...

Hi Carole. I love the name for this quilt. I've enjoyed your moon series and how you have always managed to make a moon for each challenge. Love your hand stitching that can be seen close up with a right click...great job!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Carole, this is a wonderful composition, the eyes move around the piece and it has a nice flow to it. I also really admire you for using yellow, and it worked! The music notes are such a nice addition. Great job!
You have turned out some great work this winter sans sewing machine.

Joni said...

Very nice job Carole! I like the way the folds in the dress bring a 3d element to your piece. It is a lively flowing cheerful composition!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Carole - I'm sorry to see the end of your moon series. It has been a pleasure to see what you come up with each month - but I'm sure you'll come up with something else I'll enjoy.

This little piece is full of interesting places to look - the dress looks as if it is swinging, the chiffon appears to float across the sky and over the moon. But my favorite part is the notes along with all your handstitching. Too cool!

Betty Warner said...

Carole:
I echo the comments above.

I love the irregular shape and hand stitching. It is inspiring.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carole, well, I love it too. First thing I notice is the curvy swingin red dress against that luscious background, then I sink into the texture of the background and the whispy softness. Wonderful contrasts in textures between the silky dress, background and batik moons. Great job!
Cynthia