Friday, July 31, 2009

Rose - 16" x 16"


This is as far as I can get before this weeks challenge is due tomorrow. I have really enjoyed working on this. This work is based on a photo I took about a month ago. I converted the picture to black and white, enlarged it to 16", printed on to paper, traced the outline of the rose and surrounding leaves with pencil on to white PFD fabric, stitched the outline in black thread, painted the color on using Fabrico pens. (I seem to have a fascination with trying different methods of applying color over the past month.) The composition is radial, but not too symmetric. The quilting that remains to be done will be more lines of black outline.

I like the imperfection of the color application in this piece. Actually, I always like the imperfection in the hand application of color to fabric. However, am wondering if others perceive it as careless or somehow insufficient. Would appreciate honest feedback so that I can either stand tall around my few perfectionist friends or decide to put more effort into getting closer to perfect.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Betty Warner

6 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Betty, it looks like you had fun with the pens, the color is great. I really like this piece, full of movement and depth. And I'm sure you've met the requirements for the challenge.

Wendy said...

Betty, this is a perfect example of implied radial symmetry! You did it! I love pens and color and paint! Now, how are you gonna quilt it?

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Betty, this is a lovely piece...skillfuly done. I like the imperfection of the color...it looks very painterly. A couple thoughts on your piece: a bit more contrast and definition might make it a stronger piece. Like darken some of the thread outlines and darken a few of the dark leaves to add more depth. If you can push back some or most of the leaves with dense quilting, the rose will pop more.
It's really pretty, like a pen & ink watercolor. I especially like the little bits of white left next to the black line in places. Have you considered using a heavier thread or even double thread to make your black lines thicker? It's always fun to see what you do with these challenges, Betty!
Cynthia

Joni said...

Betty,
You have shown a wonderful use of the pens, your flower is lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing how you quilt it. I like the variety of shades of green and pink that you used, it makes for more depth in your piece. Great job!

Carole said...

Hi Betty, this is so pretty...
I concur with the thoughts above, have you thought abou some hand stitching using embroidery floss? Definitely not 3 strands, maybe 2.. keep it delicate looking but with higher definition?
good job!

janice pd said...

Nice work Betty! So much detail in the leaves and petals of the rose. I could see embroidery just along the edges of some of the petals to raise them up and catch the light. Very pretty!