Sunday, July 26, 2009

Song of Circles


19 3/4" diameter

I decided to create elements with more-or-less radial symmetry instead of an entirely symmetrical piece. With each fabric, I cut either six identical pieces, as far as the pattern went, or three pairs of identical pieces, and for the darkest piece, just three pieces, matching the patterns for each. I realize this is not, strictly speaking, symmetry, as a mirror reflection would show up differences. The background was made in six segments not specifically matched for pattern, but rather for the effect of a radial pattern, going from the center to the edges.

Update: I fully agreed with the comments that more contrast was needed, and added some tint around the edges of my circles, a bit of red around the top and left and green around the lower piece. I've sort of invented a technique, spraying the piece with water and then applying dilute Tsukineko ink with a paint brush. Finally, I added buttons to center of three of the pieces. (Getting a photo with the same color values was another matter, I did the best I could!)

I'm open to suggestions for a better name for this piece, as well as any comments, of course.

9 comments:

Linda Cline said...

You have created a very organic looking piece. Nature is full of imperfect symmetry.

Wendy said...

I like that you used radial symmetry in the smaller elements.... I would have like to see more contrast. The 2 lighter flowers just sort of blend into the background.
I agree with Linda, very organic! And it fits into your not-square-quilt series!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Lovely quilt Tobi! I agree with Wendy in that the background could be darker. Perhaps if you darken the outline of the two lighter flowers they would not blend into the background as much?
I especially love the dark green flower...so pretty!
Cherie

Linda Cline said...

I like the added dimension the ink gives to the background. But I don't think you've changed the contrast much. The flower on the right is very dark, and the rest of your composition is quite light. What if you added some very dark values to the background on the left.

You could change the photo to grayscale on your computer if you want to focus on value. You could also print it on paper if you wanted to play with value without risk to the original.

Betty Warner said...

Tobi:
Name suggestion - how about "Times Six" since 6 examples of radial symmetry is what you have done.

Have you considered outlining the green flower on the left with a dark color, perhaps one that matches that dark on the right, it might provide a bit more dark on that side.

I really like your use of the Tsukineko inks. It is brave to use them at the end.

Betty Warner

Joni said...

Tobi,
I like the changes you made to this piece, the shapes really come forward and it gives the piece some depth. The radial elements are subtle, and give the piece a warm, soft feel.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, the changes you made are very effective...it feels much richer and complex. Masterful use of prints, too. You have an interesting stash!
Cynthia

Carole said...

Hi Toby, what a difference between the two, whaT a pretty piece. This kind of 'radial' I can look at.. all day... so lovely.

janice pd said...

A huge improvement in the second piece, Tobi.I really like the colors and I think this one is my favorite pieces of yours.