Thursday, July 22, 2010

Barking Up the (Wrong) Tree


This is my entry for Tobi's challenge. I made it a while back using real tree bark, tyvex (painted and heated) yarn and real moss stuff(?). All the embellishments are hand stitched to a heavy feed sack (lost the name) and then to a corduroy background and then sewn to another background and mounted onto foam core. I did use my embellisher machine to place the yarns down. My husband drilled tiny holes in the bark so I could sew it down.


Amazing for me to hand stitch anything. I really like this challenge and may do another because I LOVE trees also.


Thanks, Tobi, for a great challenge.


Sea Ranch Carol

6 comments:

Julia in NZ said...

Carol

You must be artistically related to me (see my piece)! Love the combination of textures and the bravery you showed in drilling holes in real bark. Feedsack is a geat idea too.

Carole said...

Hi Carol... this is an 'extravaganza' of delight as I read and re-read... look and look again at this piece... it is quite awesome, indeed. I love the texture. I can't help but wonder what you could have done for this challenge if you had actually tried a new technique [new to you, that is] using this 'viewpoint' size as opposed to the whole tree.My guess is that it would outshine this one....real bark and all. Will you be doing more of this type?

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Wonderful! It looks so real...Just like closeup photos I have of redwood tree bark.Will you be doing another for this challenge?
Cherie

Jan said...

this looks so real. Great texture & color.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great texture, the colors are wonderful. I t looks so real with the moss hanging from the bark, just fantastic.

Betty Warner said...

I love the texture and colors in this piece. It's terrific.