Friday, August 27, 2010




This is cheating to show an already finished project but we just decided to take advantage of some lovely sunny weather and go camping next week, then I'm visiting my sister the next weekend and in between making a birthday card for my niece. Maybe this will inspire some one on their quilt. This was made in 2004 and is only 8 x 11. It does have 3 layers with a piece of tin for the backing, some screening for the batting and stuff appliqued on top. Plus I used duct tape for the binding! I like to use metal also and have sewn copper onto quilts, and used the copper scrubbing stuff (that you can unravel and get a neat mesh) on quilts. Maybe I'll get something new in late. I'll enjoy seeing what others come up with.

Nancy Schlegel (off to packing-bad part of camping)

7 comments:

Sandy said...

I like the arrangement of circles and the chains for the edges. I think it works really well for the chain to go partially around, leaving spaces for the eye to escape.
I think the sqiggle lifts the piece and makes it more art than a collection of metal.

I hope you are able to come up with something current as well. Looks like you know how to use metal findings very well!

Sue Andrus said...

I like your piece! It gives me a few ideas to play with....

I hope you have a super trip!!

Jan said...

Nice piece and layout of everyday recycled things. Color choice for the background is just right.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This makes me think of 'steam-punk' art. It is perfect for this challenge...I like it a lot! Hope you will be able to do a new piece when you get home :-)
Cherie

Carole said...

This is so cool... I have been looking at it all week. Wish I could use metal like this...just
doesn't seem to occur to me.
Hope you are having/had a good vacation. Any more metal to share with us?

Nancy Schlegel said...

Thanks for all your comments-I have ideas galore for a new metal piece but also have a challenge round robin piece to work on, a curtain to make for my sister and a visit next week to said sister. Not going to happen soon.

Good trip despite the work. So nice to have weather warm enough to sit by the fire at night in shorts and T-shirt. Looking at the stars after dark is always fascinating.

Nancy Schlegel

fastfriday said...

WOW! Your quilt must be really heavy. Thats alot of metal. You certainly met the challange. It's fun to look at,well balanced and the color is very pleasant. Good work

Pat Havey