Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Calm of Night


Only two weeks late...not too bad...LOL

This little piece (11x15 including borders) was done needle felting by hand, not machine.

I didn't draw any pattern or sketch, just went for it putting down whatever felt good.

After the felting, I backed the piece with stabilizer and thread painted/quilted it.

These are both techniques I have barely tried in the past so wanted to play with them. I know I definitely need alot of practice to get it right, especially the thread painting...but I had alot of fun doing it. I mounted it on a piece of mauve sueded pigskin.


As always, I welcome critiques and comments



Cherie

5 comments:

Carole said...

Cherie. this is awesome!! I have had a hand felting kit for 3 years, now I am determined. Wow!!
Carole

Betty Donahue said...

I like this. I bought a hand felting needle and broke them all on my first try. This makes me want to buy replacement needles and try again.
Betty

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cherie - the piece came out really well. I especially like the thread-painting and the clouds going in front of the moon. It is great that you tried something new and had so much success with it. Nice work!

Roberta

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cherie,
I really like the contrast of the neutral sky background, the muted mid-ground and the brightly colored foreground. It's so textural...I want to pet it!
Cynthia

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Thanks to all of you...I really did have so much fun with this, I fully intend to do much more and actually try to become proficient at it! It's very easy to just lose yourself in the moment doing this.

Cherie