Sunday, September 02, 2007

Fish Tank, ~17"x22"



This piece uses only satin plus some Angelina fiber as embellishment. I wanted to re-visit the technique I used in the single-fabric challenge where I used all gray satin with a fairly thick layer of batting, but this turned out much different, in part of course because I used multiple colors. I chose some of the fancier stitches from my new sewing machine to add seaweed, and free motion quilting to add more wave texture. The treasure chest and castle were added at my husband's suggestion, though I had originally intended it to be an underwater ocean scene. The wavy shape was in part because I did not have enough fabric to fill in the rectangle, but then again, I like getting away from a strict rectangle in my pieces.

I may add a bit of beading to the pirate chest, and some random beads for bubbles, but I'm not sure about that.

2 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

That is really neat. I especially like your wavy shape.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, I, too, like the wavy shape and the unusual edging (what is that?) Did you paint the satin background and fish?
Lots of texture with the stitching and beading...looks really good!
Cynthia