Tuesday, June 01, 2010

High on Fungi


I am usually one who does very realistic art quilts so this time I stepped out of my comfort zone and went completely abstract with my fungi. I chose to do a split-complimentary color scheme and used purple, yellow-orange, and yellow-greens. I decided to look at a typical fungi from beneath. I broke the head into various waves alternating them with the folds seen under the mushroom with spores. I quilted in either a circular design on the center and outer rings to swirls on the middle purple ring. To simulate some spores on the orange and green I added some beads. When completed I couched different yarns along each wave for a more funky effect. I used a simple decorative stitch over the orange/green seams beading on top of them. The binding 'fell' from a shelf and I decided to use it since although black it contained the colors of purple, orange and green. This was left over from a larger quilt I'd made last winter. The quilt was pieced together using freezer paper and registration marks. No fusible was used in this piece. The quilt measures 15 1/2" x 18".

8 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh Jan, this is so cool! Abstract, certainly, but it totally 'feels' like looking up at the underside of a mushroom. Love the colors and the quilting is perfect.
Cherie

fastfriday said...

absolutlyfun abstract. I love your quilting it adds so much to the piece. Your color choices are good too. Well done!
Pat Havey

fastfriday said...

Very creative use of viewing the underside of the mushroom.....and the bright colors are excellent.
Chris Predd

janice pd said...

Great job Jan. Your abstraction is perfect and I can see the mushroom.

Betty Warner said...

I love this abstraction and the color scheme. Love the movement created by the S curve of the mushroom and love the detail in the quilting.

Carole said...

This has lots happening and your execution is superb. The couched yarn on the edges, your quilting echoing the line in another piece of fabric, and the psychedelic [sp?] colors! Wow...
I like it alot.

LAQuilts said...

I love the colors. The magnified fungi makes for a nice composition.

Betty Donahue said...

I, too, am much more comfortable with realism so I know how hard it is to do abstract.
You did a beautiful job -- I'm impressed.
Betty