Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cut Loose


My goal for this year of FFFC's was to simplify and to use everyday objects - preferably found in my sewing room. I have done both of those things in this piece but I don't think it is in the same series as my September piece.
This work was created by holding a pair of scissors in front of me and taking a photo. I then went into photoshop and simplified the picture, turned it into a B&W and dropped out the background, including my hand. I then added back a little color in gray-purple tones. I printed the photo on silk organza and overlayed that on a piece of cotton I had colored using shibori techniques with fabric paint. I quilted it to emphasize the design of the background fabric and then added a row of beads (which don't show in the photo) with lots of loose threads hanging off the bottom. The finished piece, not including the danglies, is 11 1/2" wide and 10" high.

12 comments:

janice pd said...

Nice work! I wondered when someone was going to use fore shortening as their perspective.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I think you really got the perspective and monochromatic ideas. Nice idea with the scissors and the roots/plants.
Kathy

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Kathy - This so successfully met the challenge - both for perspective and monochromatic color scheme. Simple and interesting at once - nice combination.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Kathy - This so successfully met the challenge - both for perspective and monochromatic color scheme. Simple and interesting at once - nice combination.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Nicely done...simple, yet powerful, if you think of all the meanings it could have - cutting through, cutting out...all the loose ends.
I like the viewpoint you chose and also having part of it cropped out at the edges...love the beadwork too...nice touch! (How did you get this done so quickly?)

Unknown said...

Nice job Kathy! This came out really good, I really like the coloring, cropping and the loose dangling threads are great.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Subtle colors, yet so effective!

anna k. said...

Kathy this is just so original and clever.

fastfriday said...

Kathy,
I love your use of organza in this piece. Very striking.
Linda Mac
lov2quit@gmail.com

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I especially love your shibori painted background. It adds such depth to the scissors where it shows through. Nice!
Cherie

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

The loose threads border is a fun touch and adds a new level of meaning to your quilt - intentional or not!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Kathy, really good piece...unusual perspective and fascinating effects with the organza and shibori fabrics and effective shadowing on the scissors and of course those lovely shades of lavendar.
Good job!
Cynthia