Friday, October 03, 2008

Night Watch


Size 8.5 x 11
Colors chosen are red-violet and yellow-green.
Line is for the most part vertical, with a diagonal branch.

I used hand-dyed fabric for the background, a commercial print for the moon and tree and I felted the owl. Red-violet roving on dark red-violet felt.
I added beads for his eyes and beak, again yellow-green for the beak, but the eyes are, I'm afraid, purple!
I also used yellow-green and red-violet roving near the base of the tree and on the ground.
Red-violet roving is drifting across the moon.
I used the same colors in thread for the quilting.
I tried hard to use just the two colors , thinking that was the challenge.
I sure was tempted to add some others but found by sticking to it it could
actually work.
I am really looking forward to your critiques and comments in general.

A great challenge Cynthia, and I am really keen on doing this series.

Carole

11 comments:

anna k. said...

Carole,
what lovely soft colours you have used so successfully.
Such a cute owl, but looking so lonely.
Looking forward to seeing more of your series; for you know i love the moon.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great piece Carole. The owl really stands out and the colors are 'lucious', this is going to be a great series to watch evolve.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Your owl looks so soft and cuddly. I love your use of roving...prompts me to pull mine out and work with it some more! Well done!
Cherie

LAQuilts said...

I love your moon - and the owl - what is your final series? Back to the moon - I really like that you picked an nontraditional not true to life color. I think it really works.

janice pd said...

I would love to see your little owl in a close up. Funny how these colors look just right as the night.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carole, Oh, I love the little guy...I'm a bird lover anyway, but I really want this one to visit! Darling bird, good color choices and blending, whispy night time feel, and fun moon, what more could you ask for?
Great job...wouldn't change a thing
Cynthia

brendaj said...

Hi Carole,

I really like this piece, especially the green moon. The owl is just adorable. Great job.

Brenda

Betty Donahue said...

Love your owl.
Betty

Susan B said...

I love the colors and the owl. So the moon really is made of green cheese after all.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Carole - Your wee owl is delightful. The whole piece comes together so well. The piece has a melancholy feel to me. Something about that wispy purple roving and the muted background just says "lonesome!" And the green moon is just right too. Congratulations on a well done work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carole
I love that you used both hand dyed and commercial fabrics. Both are beautiful.

The roving cloud passing over the moon and the branch effectively achieve the diagonal orientation you wanted.

I very much like that you put the moon/owl off center leaving negative space in the bottom third or so.
Looking forward to seeing more of your series.