Monday, October 06, 2008

Verticals: Renamed "My Silk Garden Wants to be a Garden Fence"

27" x 19", silk, cottons, satin, ribbon

I finally decided to make use of one of the silk scarves my son brought me from India, cutting the borders for my main vertical lines. The two blue fabrics had practically the same orange color in their patterns so they seemed to fit in well. The backing is white satin, which shows through in a few places. The pieces are lightly stuffed with Polyfil to create some three-dimensionality. I surrounded the three butterflies with very narrow blue ribbon.

As with many of my pieces, I mounted this on foam core, and I made a narrow border of the white satin, which wraps around the foam core and is hand-stitched.

7 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, I was hoping to see one of your pieces for this challenge...and I really like this one. It has an organic feel to it, yet it is somewhat structured at the same time. Very unusual and wonderful shape. The white showing through gives some good contrast to the piece. Did you consider adding any dark values in also? A little splash of navy blue would be wonderful in a few spots.
Hey, just realized..there's no tree in this piece and not a speck of green ;^)
Great job!
Cynthia

janice pd said...

Hi Tobi, I really like your use of nearly pure colors. When I first saw this I thought the negative spaces were cut out. nice job!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Wow I thought it was cut out as well! What an exotic look this has! I would love to see it photographed against a dark background...excellent
Cherie

anna k. said...

Wonderful work Tobi.
This is so rich and exotic.
Thank you for explaining how you did it.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Tobi - This is such an interesting piece - my eye is drawn here and there and back again. Your use of the bold colors is very attractive and the bits of white add another dimension. Great work!

Betty Warner said...

Very rich piece with lots of movement and texture. I really enjoyed looking at it.

Carole said...

Coming in late here Tobi, but I am another one who thought the white was 'cut out... it is really effective isn't it.
Very different, and easily recognizable as 'a Tobi Hoffman'.

Nicely done.