Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Anticipation

I couldn't get to this for the actual challenge time due to upsets in life, but I have had the picture in my head since then.

This is a dragon egg about to hatch open. Bits of the shell have fallen to the sand. Drawn to the spot by the magic swirling through the air, The Finder waits in awe and wonder to see the newest dragon emerge from the shell.

The "egg fabric" is a wonderful blue/black white cracked patterned fabric I have. I love it so much I made a skirt from it! I cut open some of the white spaces and laid a bright hand-dyed yellow orange silk behind it. this is the zinger and also what causes the mood of anticipation. I coloured most of the other white spaces with a sharpie of the same colour. The swirly blue sky fabric shows the magic in the air. a little square of mottled brown fabric from a swatch was just enough for the sand. I tried to do a border, even putting one edge under the side of the egg on the left, but it was too blunt. So, I satin stitched with colours that blended with the sky and sand.

No comments: