Monday, January 12, 2009

Pine Grosbeaks

Still not finished but much further along. For some reason the photo that looked crisp on my computer now looks slightly out of focus here. Sorry about that! Pine Grosbeaks now measures 24" x 30" and I think I am ready to quilt it. As someone who has been a hand quilter most of my life, I am still totally intimidated when it comes time to sit at the machine and take those first quilting stitches. Any suggestions for quilting patterns would be gratefully considered. More than any other quilt I have done with this group, this one has been influenced by the comments and critiques of those who wrote. Thank you!


I really didn't think I would participate in the challenge this month. The main problem was that my husband and I were headed into Yellowstone over the holidays and would be gone for most of the week in which the challenge was to be done. But when I returned and found out the theme was "zingers", I knew I had to make a quilt portraying some of the pine grosbeaks we had seen on the trees while cross country skiing near Old Faithful. They are the perfect example of nature's zingers as they create bright spots of color on the otherwise monochromatic green of the pine trees. I am showing the center part of the quilt here. It currently measures 17" x 22" but I think I will add a zinger red piping and a wonky log cabin border in greens so it will get quite a bit bigger before I quilt it. The emotion evoked for me is one of peacefulness since it brings back a specific memory of a place and time.

10 comments:

Carole said...

Kathy!!! This is awesome, like WOW,
I was casually checking our page and what a glorious expression of 'zinger'when the page opened.
Another example of opposites on the color wheel making their magic.
Well done and I am so glad you were able to do this. And I love the crazy patch effect with these little guys worked in.
Good job.
Carole

ann said...

WOW! THis is absolutely wonderful. Love the way you pieced the bird into a sort of log cabin blog with a twist, kind of like 'strips-that-sizzle'. I'm envious of such talent. It hits the challenge on the nose. It also reminds me of Ruth Powers and Ruth McDowell. [I mean that as a complement as I think they are both master artists.]

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Kathy - This is such a treat for the eye. Your color choices work so well and the little pops of red truly zing! The only suggestion I have would be to find a way to retrieve the head of that second bird. I feel sort of bad having him/her decapitated.

I look forward to seeing the piece after you have quilted it - please be sure to let us know when it appears. Great work.

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Carole and Ann - Thank you so much. You are extremely generous! Roberta - All I can say is Eureka! You know how you read right through a typo sometimes? There was something bugging me about this quilt but I couldn't put my finger on it. Although it is not true that I decapitated that poor bird, your comment allowed me to see what I need to do to fix it. I am just glad I saw your comment before I added the border so I have a chance to fix my mistake. Thanks!
Kathy

Della said...

Kathy. . . You grosbeaks are beautiful. The contrast against the green background really makes these birds sing! I hope you post again once you have added the red piping. Nice quilt.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Kathy - You are right! I see now that you didn't chop that little bird's head off. The way he is snugged up to the pieced block made me feel as if he had lost his head....

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

I love the piece just the way it is. The little touches of colour make a very effective zinger. And I can certainly see the snow and pine trees in the piecing. I think I would be careful about the log cabin border. I'm not sure this needs a border, and the log cabin pattern might make it a little too busy, given the piecing already there.
Pat F in Winnipeg

Jan said...

I love the way you represented the pines and snow with the gorgeous little birds wthin. I think you're right adding a red piping in the border or along the binding. That will give it even more pop and zing.

Jan said...

I love the way you represented the pines and snow with the gorgeous little birds wthin. I think you're right adding a red piping in the border or along the binding. That will give it even more pop and zing.

Cay Denise said...

Hi Kathy,

I love the border...it is very striking! When I look at the entirety of the piece though, it is the border that is exciting rather than the center of the piece. My eyes don't even look at the center. Its not that the piece isn't unified. Its just that you've mixed a traditional, repetitive block pattern with a very non-traditional abstract design and the traditional won the competition for my attention. It is still a very nice piece!