Friday, January 30, 2009

Guardian

Reworked: I took some of the advice about making the baby look less like a packet of lunch. Because the baby was painted on pelmet weight vilene before being applied, it was difficult to work out how to add rockers seamlessly. However, I have painted lace onto the edges of the baby blanket. Perhaps that will do the trick.

Here is a detail shot. let me know what you think.
Original post:
Here is a dragon in the oriental style. I "saw" him in the anomalies of the hand-dyed fabric. However, trying to draw him free hand resulted in a rather odd shape. It is difficult to look at because it ISn't like what is in my head. So a goal this year is to work out how to draw dragons better. However, in a way it fits with some of the naive shapes of the dragon/lion sorts of monsters that are seen in oriental art.

As you can see the analogous colours are centred on green - yellow green - and even blue-green threads. The tension is created with the baby in the basket in front of the dragon. Will the baby be harmed? Or is the baby under the protection of the "monster"?

I used examples of stitching on "dragon coats" for the quilting patterns .

9 comments:

Joni said...

Sandy, I love your dragons! This one look particularily vicious. I'm glad you explained the baby in the basket, I first thought he had some Chinese food to go - may eggrolls. You really bring alot a imagination into your work, and spark the imagination of your viewers. Nice job.

Carole said...

Yikes, Sandy!! I m not a dragon person, but your colors and detail are engaging.
I am following this series with interest ...
Carole

Sandy said...

Thanks for the comments.

That is the second person who thought the baby was his lunch! My friend, who saw it in person asked that, too.

So, the question is, how can I make the baby stand out or be more obvious as a baby. Do you think if I painted some sort of surround.
or maybe turn the basket to a cot and add rockers?
thanks,
Sandy

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Sandy...I think part of the charm of this quilt is the "mystery"..what will the dragon do? Perhaps if you add a little lacy edge to the baby's blanket it will be enough to confirm what's within and so not change the size relation.
Cherie

anna k. said...

Great use of colour Sandy.
I agree with Cherie in that a little mystery tends to draw me in closer to the work; make me think a little bit more....which for me is good.
Anna

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sandy, another wonderful addition to your dragon series...we are enjoying it so much! I think the baby does looks like lunch, which isn't as mysterious/tense as having a baby in front of a dragaon. The idea of a lacy feel to the blanket and turning the basket into a cradle with rockers should clarify that.
Your stitch work is fabulous and as is the background quilting.
Great job!
Cynthia

Betty Warner said...

I love this dragon and concur with statements above. What a great piece of fabric and how well you have worked with it. Very interesting!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Sandy - You've done it again - another great dragon. I thought the baby in a basket was a pie and was most curious to read your story. A baby is definitely more interesting! I like the ideas others have suggested for making the baby more obvious.

Your use of color and your quilting in this piece are so good. Congratulations.

janice pd said...

Hi Sandy. Your quilting is wonderful as usual. To lunch or not to lunch...it's still wonderful!

Janic