Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Challenge 33


On the eve of Challenge 34, I am finally getting #33 posted! Spring is a busy time. "Old Blue" is from photographs of our dog, taken on the Bering Sea, when we lived on Umnak Island, Alaska. We were hunting for the blue glass fishing net floats, shown in the foreground. Blue's coloring blends in with the landscape, so I knew I wanted this scene for a "camoflage art" quilt, which fit the neutrals theme. I used photo transfer for the dog, glass balls, and seagull, commercial fabrics highlighted with painsticks, rock beads, and thread for seaweed. The seaweed is the contrast color (orange & yellow, but looks more red and green in this photo). Thank you Kathy, this was a fun challenge, and one I have wanted to do for some time. Linda Mac

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Very interesting piece Linda! At first I didn't see Blue (great camo job!)... but saw great depth and almost a 3D effect.... then I clicked on the image....ooohh there's the dog and the gull! The shading is wonderful.... border with black and grey is perfect. Nice job!

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful piece! So much texture and depth. Blue looks like he is thinking about trying to catch that gull..lol

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Linda, better late than never! This is just wonderful! Great depth and texture and interesting focal point and effects. The touch of blue is perfect to brighten the grays. Great job
Cynthia

Carole said...

What a beauty!! I love what you have done here. The texture in this piece is awesome...The seaweed and rock 'glass' give it just what it needs.
Sorry, I am so late commenting, I am just catching up.