Tuesday, June 30, 2009






Challenge #34 - Triad color scheme is purple/orange/green. This was accomplished by painting a flower and the background grid using Caran D'Ache Neopaque II water soluble wax pastels. I like to use them because you can create a quiet texture with them. Am not sure that shows up so well in a photo. The inner border - actually a flange - and the binding are dark green. (I know they look black, but are not.) The pattern is the grid and the texture in the painted areas as well as that created by the fossil fern purple border and the batik dark green inner border and binding. I think I could probably do more with this piece, but need to noodle on it for a while.


This is a style not typical of me. It was fun to do and certainly a new color scheme for me to try. Thanks Cynthia.



All comments/critiques welcomed.


8 comments:

Joni said...

Betty, your colors work really well on this piece, and I like the way you changed direction of your strokes in the grid, to add texture. What if you amplified this texture with quilting in the same directions as the strokes? Just a thought. Very Nice interpretation of the challenge.

Carole said...

Hi, Betty, I like what you have done here and Joni's suggestion of some free motion quilting following your painted texture lines would really add to this piece. I like your overall... it reminds me of a coloring book page... happy.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Betty, It's surprising how much visual texture you got with the pastels...very nice. I really like the black thread outline and grid. I agree with the others that the addition of quilting would enhance it.

Good job!
Cynthia

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I like the pastel look , and agree that I would like to see more texture created with quilting. Nice job
Cherie

Betty Warner said...

Thanks everyone. I was struggling with whether or not quilting would eliminate what I was trying to achieve with the change in direction. You have confirmed my inital thoughts. Will do the quilting. Am not sure that it will be done by Saturday, but it will be done.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Very nice Betty, and like others have said, yes a bit more quilting would add more texture. I too am amazed how you achieved the triadic color scheme using such pastel colors. Well done.

Monty Wilson said...

This reminds me of a pretty tiled wall. I wish it was in my kitchen!

Betty Warner said...

I have replaced the picture with current one now that I have quilted it. Though the picture is dark, I believe the additional texture can be seen.

Betty