Thursday, December 28, 2006

There is a hole....


"There is a hole the size of a golf ball in the right side of Katherine Givin's black Bali bra." from Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish. This is totally chick lit, but I love the way Radish speaks to the bonds of women in this and her other books.

The figure is hand-drawn and then fused as applique. I wanted the bra to be the focal point and the body to blend into the background. Variegated threads were used for the highlights of the body shadows. And yes, the arm is a cutout, edged with satin stitch.

I have a collection of female nudes that I've used to decorate my bathroom, this will fit right in with the new paint! The biggest challenge was finding a first line that piqued my interest!

3 comments:

laura west kong said...

Hi Wendy,
Great first line and great use of high and low contrast. It really brings out the bra as the focal point.

I like the carefree lines of your piece, how they are boldly not square, and the way the arm is cut out and the corner of the let sticks out. There's a lot of visual tension having her so far to the edge (definitely not a bad thing, it adds interest to the composition)

I also like the mysteriousness: it makes me wonder what she is like. I wonder what it would look like if her hairstyle reflected some of those great curves from the rest of the piece? Either way, its a stunning piece.
laura k

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Wendy - This piece is very intriguing. The black bra is definitely eye catching because of the way the body blends back into the background. I like the fact that the woman is not complete - she has no face and I can't find out much about her so, of course, I want to know more. Nice work.

Roberta

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, When I first read your post, I thought...uh, oh...it's gonna be a unappealing quilt in the shape of black bra with a big ole hole in it. It's so nice to be surprised! I really like how the piece has both curvy and angular lines/shapes...that adds to the variety and interest of the piece. the placement of the figure is perfect and the body fabric and backround fabric work surprisingly well to both blend and contrast. It's a fabulous piece. I'd love to see more of your work...do you have a blog or website?
Cynthia