Friday, December 05, 2008

Waiting for the Storm by Pam Harris





Waiting for the Storm is 9.5 x 20 inches and made from commercial fabrics. It is fused and the raw edges are covered with purchased bias tape. The dark gray is the back side of a print so a few spots of black show through which gives a touch of texture. A friend reminded me that I own both sides of the fabric and should use the backside more often.

The design is taken from a peacock feather motif in the hallway carpet at the Palmer House in Chicago. You can see a bit of the “eye” of the feather. As the project progressed, it reminded me of a storm front on a weather map. I believe we have one headed our way which promises snow/freezing rain. Can only hope the weather guessers are wrong.

My series is shapes/time.

I thoroughly enjoyed this project as it gave me an opportunity to learn a bit more about my camera and using value. I discovered the sepia option very useful as a tool for value and balance as it showed value in different tones.

While doing my final ironing, I realized I should have used the smoky invisible thread as the clear does show on the black and gives off a sheen. Oh well, another lesson learned. I was concentrating on the looming deadline instead of my project.

10 comments:

Joni said...

You have really done a fantastic job interpreting this challenge. The close up of the peacock feather does look like a storm, and the fabrics you used give the piece an illuminated effect. Love it!

janice pd said...

this is a really attractive piece. I love graphic pieces. Nice use of an unusual size to compliment the design so that some of your curves go past the edges rather than being constrained. I would like to see this in person!

Linda Cline said...

Your quilt is full of movement. The high contrast colors help make it a very exciting piece. The swirly print you chose is perfect for this piece.

Roberta Ranney said...

This is a piece that draws the viewer in and moves the eye around very effectively. The fabric choices are excellent for telling your story about the coming storm. Very nice work.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Your use of the swirly fabric adds so much motion! It makes me think of an approaching tornado. I really love it!
Cherie

Sandy said...

I do love this piece. I particularly like the swirly look of the fabric portion just past the white semicircle. It really helps with the movement.

I think that the cropped layout really makes the piece dinamic and interesting.

This is a piece that may be simple to construct (I can't exactly tell from what you said) but you see more and more and think more and more about it everytime you look at it.

Sandy in the UK

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

I like the bold, graphic quality of your quilt. The swirls are wonderful.

Della said...

This piece has a nice graphic quality. The extra time you took to add the bias binding resulted in a great detailed finish.

LAQuilts said...

I love your color palette - it is an elegant quilt.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hello Pam, Fabulous job on using dark darks and light lights to create a dramatic piece with lots of movement.
Cynthia