Friday, November 02, 2007

Challenge 14 - The Wave by Cynthia Ann Morgan



My 17 x 13" piece is based on a 19th century vintage japanese woodcut print, called the "Great Wave off Kanagawa" by Hokusai which depicts an enormous wave threatening fishing boats with Mount Fuji in the background. Mine's not about Mt Fuji or fishing boats...just the motion of the giant wave and all that curling foam. I used hand dyed fabrics, fused applique and trapunto on some parts to give it more dimension. The embellishment part of the challenge is small...just some slivers of foil here and there.


This was a good challenge for me...I looked at alot of art to see what creates the feeling of motion. It really livens up a piece to have some movement and/or rhythm.


Comments welcome!

Cynthia

10 comments:

Carole said...

EXQUISITE!!
An exceptional example of what movement really means and DOES for a piece.
Thank you for sharing....I have really learned something from you.
CaROLE

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Cynthia,
What a beautiful interpretation of Hokusai's masterpiece. Your color choice was great and the quilting lines do a lot to add mood to the piece.
Kathy

Ann Morrell said...

I love this piece...would love to know how you did this...did you draw out the wave and then cut out sections to fuse...or did you use a photo and trace out the shapes? They are just perfect...I feel the movement and can anticipate the crash that is coming.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cynthia - I really like the way you have put the various colors together to create depth in the waves. The swirling quilting in the sky adds a nice touch too. I don't exactly know why but the big cresting wave makes me think of a dragon - makes me realize why ancient peoples created some of their myths.

Beautiful work.

Roberta

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Fantastic movemnt in the waves, the colors lend themselves so well to the movement, from the shading in the white and red to the wonderful quilting.

anna k. said...

Cynthia,
this is truly beautiful, i am in awe of your work.

Betty Donahue said...

Beautiful. I can hear the waves smashing againt the rocks.
Betty

LAQuilts said...

Wow - if I didn't know better I'd think this was the original piece. It belongs in a museum. What is the size?

Jan said...

Wonderful piece! I can hear the waves crashing on the rocks and I want to fall over with the wave. Great use of color and the quilting adds movement both in the sky and water.
Jan J.

brendaj said...

Hi Cynthia,
WOW! This is simply fabulous. I love it.
Brenda