Friday, November 30, 2007


The photo I used for this challenge is an old one I took in 1981. I have kept it all these years because the angles of the cactus against the old mission have always intrigued me. When Cynthia asked that I hostess one of our challenges I immediately knew that it would involve this picture. So now that I had the chance to use it, it presented a few challenges for me as well as everyone else! Finding the correct angles of the door and windows kept me busy, and figuring out how to represent the ornamentation above them was fun. I ended up dissecting an old crocheted doily for that. This is just the top and needs to be backed and quilted. I am thinking of beading the cactus a little bit to give it more detail.

6 comments:

Carole said...

Ann, you certainly rose to the Challenge, albeit your own!!
I think you have done a beautiful job of this, your fabric choices are wonderful and you really brought that "Old Mission" to life.
The cactus looks great in its large size, the quilting and beading will really make the whole piece sing. Please post a photo when you complete it.
Thank you for a great and interesting challenge.
Carole

Jan said...

I love the colors you chose to depict the adobe and the lovely blues of the sky. I like the cactus in the foreground but am wondering if maybe it should have been just a bit lighter so as not to seem so strong? Maybe some lighter thread to do the quilting?I do like the way you created the border and carried the cactus out into it.

Can't wait to see it completed!

Susan B said...

Beautiful colors! This has an nice slightly abstract feel going on, yet the original photo is still recognizable. The tapered shape of the cactus adds to its monumentality. I like the way you have used the deep blues in the border. Well done!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ann - The first thing that struck me when I saw this piece was your wonderful use of color. The colors certainly say Southwest and are lovely. The piece is a good example of proportion and scale. Thanks for coming up with this interesting challenge.

Roberta

anna k. said...

Anna,
i too love your wonderful colors in this quilt and great fabric choices.
Well done and thanks for the challenge.
Anna.

anna k. said...

Sorry Ann, typing too fast for my brain (as usual)