Sunday, November 25, 2007

Challenge 15- Ann Morrell




This challenge was a real challenge for me...I decided that I would take the original photo into Painter 4 and crop it and alter the colors...I eliminated certain features and emphasized other features. Then I printed it out on cloth. I then got out my watercolor crayons and pencils and started adding shadows and colors. I then layered it on batting and did free motioning stitching all over. The piece is the size of a journal quilt.




Here is a close up:



8 comments:

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

This is wonderful, and I love what you did with the colors. The cactus has become even more dominant in the quilt, and your stitching adds great texture. Good job!

Kathy Angel Lee said...

This is my third try to add a comment. Blogger is being difficult. I like your piece - thanks for explaining the process - interesting with successful results.
Kathy Angel Lee

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ann - Really appreciate this work - the muted colors, the shadows, the quilting, the proportion and scale. It is a very painterly work. The whole thing works well to my eye.

Roberta

Carole said...

Hi Ann, nicely done....very painterly, as Roberta says. You were a sport to go for the challenge, because early on you were hesitant. You captured it beautifully and the extra work you did on the cactus brings it right up front. Good goin'.......
Carole

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great job Ann, the thread painting certainly adds to the all over scale and proportion of the piece.

anna k. said...

A fantastic piece of work Anna.
I love the colours that you have used. Very effective,
Anna.

anna k. said...

Sorry Ann, typing too fast!

Joni said...

I love what you have done with this piece, the colors are very pleasing, and the photo manipulation quite effective. Makes me want to go out and buy some photo software, but perhaps its the watercolors that are making this piece very special! Joni