Sunday, January 27, 2008

#17 - Finding Balance



Image updated and hopefully improved!

This challenge had 2 parts... (1) a self portrait, and (2) using our favorite techniques. The self portrait is an inner portrait... finding and maintaining balance is something I am consciously and constantly aware of... whether in yoga class or at home or at work or whereever. The pose ("Tree" or Vrksasana) is one of those most challenging in my yoga practice, seeking balance is one of my life challenges as well. It affects everything we do!

Favorite technique? To work and play intuitively. I started with black Kona, discharged it with Soft Scrub over a freezer paper mask. I tried to make it look like a tree! Then using my needle punch attachment, I started adding a variety of fibers (noticing how unbalanced my fiber stash is... hard to find greens and browns!), including yarns (twisted and untwisted like roving) and angelina. Quilted with variegated rayon (tree) and Aurifil wool (in the black). Click on the image to see the bigger version and better detail... hard to photograph!

Thanks, Carole, for a great challenge!

9 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I truly love this piece Wendy!The figure in the tree is awesome. I like the tall and narrow, but feel like it needs a little more space for the foliage...it seems chopped off to me. great self portrait!
Cherie

Cay Denise said...

Is the piece just naturally almost black? It is difficult to make out, so if you have another photo that you could post -- that would be great!

anna k. said...

Love the figure of the woman in the tree.
Balance! so difficult to attain.

LAQuilts said...

This is a beautiful piece - I love it on it's own but then I read how you did it and very cool - thanks for some new ideas!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Wendy - This work really gets me. I was also thinking of depicting myself as a tree but also wanted to be flying....a little tricky to put into a quilt. But you have managed to have the roots while showing movement - outstanding! For me everything about this works.

Do you have Ellen Anne Eddy's book where she has a piece showing leaves turning into a woman? Your work reminds me of that and I can give no higher praise.

Roberta

Carole said...

Wendy... this is awesome!!
Rooted, balanced and beautiful, what more can a girl ask for?
Plus I can't wait to try the discharge technique.
Carole

Joni said...

Wendy...I like the peaceful feeling this quilt gives. Alot of movement in a subtle way with the flow aroung the body making the trunk of the tree. Very warm vibes coming from this quilt! Joni

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, I love this piece...it is so graceful and peaceful....reminds me of the advice to dreamers to keep your head in the clouds but your feet on the ground...I guess that could be one definition of balance.

great job! Everything about it is wonderful...but that moon...wow!

I hope you are going to show this somewhere. Have you heard about the Sacred Threads exhibits? http://www.SacredThreadsQuilts.com

Cynthia

brendaj said...

Hi Wendy,

I love this piece, too. What a great take on the challenge; so many layers of meaning. Really, nicely done.

Brenda