Saturday, January 05, 2008
After several ideas, I decided to go with the big ball of fire in the sky. I had just the right hand dyed fabric from Val Bennet at Farne Designs. then I found the blue with black spots - acetate satin . The border is the back side of pieces of rayon I had used for lining in a jacket! I liked it as it was a bit more reflective than matt cotton, but also not as shiny as normal lining fabric.
I used a silver pen to draw stars on the satin, and it became space. The space piece was not square, but when I laid it out, I decided to leave it wonky. for me this helps to keep the infinity of sapce, rather than put in in a box. especially where it sort of goes off into the distance on the top right corner.
The border is also a bit angled at the top. I wanted to give the sun enough space round it, and it also visually balances the angle of the space fabric.
I used holographic thread to quilt orbit like patterns in space...some more obvious than others. I realised I needed quilting in the border behind the sun, but in reality, that should still be sun, if it weren't cropped. I was trying to work it out, and asked my son. (He used to be my best person for advice, but as he has got older, can't be bothered!) this time he stopped long enough to look and say to quilt it in rays, and since I had used silver for the orbit, I should use gold for the sun. Perfect!!
I experimented with using a stiff fabric for the batting, and now I wished I hadn't, but it will do. In the photo, I still have to finish the edges. I think I will satin stitch with black rayon, as that will help to keep space from having to fit in a frame.
Sandy in the UK