Saturday, October 02, 2010

Challenge #49 Lunar Eclipse


#49 is now complete!
This piece was an exercise in values. I used 7 values from almost white to almost black, using many different fabric types from velvets to over lay of sheers, metallics etc. Because I graphed this design with a clear picture in mind of what it should look like, I needed to be able to juggle all the pieces freely. I thought it would be easier to cut precise triangles previously backed with fusible and fuse in place when all pieces were in place than to piece them...ugh. It would be easier and far less frustrating to piece. Very difficult to line up all points and sides using all those textures! Then I was faced with 'how to stitch all those individual triangles and keep them aligned'. So...I made my sandwich and used a double needle with both needles threaded with invisible poly as well as the bobbin. I used a slight zigzag and stitched both adjoining pieces and quilted at the same time...It Worked!
I used the same double needle technique only much shorter stitch length (satin stitch), 2 slightly different shades thread, and stitched over a length of yarn in matching color to finish the edges.
Next, I strung the beaded fringe, measuring from 3" to 6" in length. Needless to say, it took all week to finish...LOL
I would love to know what you think.......

. It measures 24"x24".
.

This was a REAL challenge for me, Thanks Cynthia!

Comments, suggestions and critiques welcomed and appreciated:-)
Cherie

11 comments:

Nancy Schlegel said...

it's wonderful to see the light-dark contrast used with a more traditional abstract block. I love the touches of gold too. I think you succeeded with the challenge perfectly. Call it Purple Diamonds or is that too prosaic.

Labels-Under the text box where you typed your information, there is a small box titled "Labels". Type in there-"Challenge 49, Cherie in DelMar". If you look at the right hand side of the blog, you can see all our names and each challenge listed. Clicking on one will bring up all the quilts done by that person or in that challenge.
Nancy Schlegel

Wendy said...

Cherie -- fabulous use of value! This reminds me of a finely cut gemstone. The use of quarter sq triangles is not easy and you've done a great job with color placement and interpretation of the challenge. This could really be the basis for a series in value studies... well done.

LAQuilts said...

I love the traditional piecing with a such a cool shading. Very well done. It would also be fun in yellows and purples. Right now it's an excellent study in value. Good job.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cheri, dark darks and light lights...and everything in between, make for an interesting quilt. But your placement of some of the light lights next to the dark darks make it dramatic and very chiaroscruo!
Great job
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

This is stunning and dramatic. You have successfully used chiaroscuro to turn a traditional block into art. It absolutely glows. I have come back again and again to this piece. It's one I'd like to hang in my home.

Della said...

Very nice, it positively glows. I'm thinking the title should include the word moon. Can't wait to see this one up close and personal.

Julia in NZ said...

Cherie

This is a great example of using art techniques in new-for-old way. As for the quilting, I would consider what design you want to come forward - the central octagon, or the central onpoint squares. Use the opportunity to do something creative with colour blending, and resist the urge to take the easy way out!

Pam Harris said...

Every time I look at your piece, I see it differently. Lots of movement and interest. I bet it really sparkles.

Carole said...

It is all said above! Well done... in an old way...

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Gorgeous! I didn't notice the sparkle in the WIP...but it is very evident in the finished piece. It looks very rich and dramatic!
Cynthia

Carole said...

Goodness Cherie the drama in this piece is so enhanced by the quilting! It is beautiful! I read Karen's comment about seeing it in person, I can only wish... The beading, too, is wonderful.
So well done!