Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer's End 14"x16"



As you can see by the photo of my garden, my sunflowers don't resemble the real thing, but it still doesn't seem like an abstract to me. It is difficult to abstract a real scene, isn't it?

I was trying to get the feel of the end of summer, with the browning leaves of my tomatoes (yep, mine are also fungus-ridden), and the still sunny disposition of the sunflowers.

The green background is a piece of silk that I dyed with a sewn shibori method, but which didn't end up working for what I had in mind originally. The sunflowers are hand-dyed silks (some vintage kimono fabrics); they are fused and then the whole thing is under a layer of black tulle, except for the brown cotton centers of the sunflowers, which I may still add beading to, and I do realize now from seeing the photo that they are not very neat (ack). May have to redo those altogether. I was originally thinking just beads, but was in a hurry to finish, as this one also meets my local group's challenge theme, and I just dropped it off for a show today.

Anyway, I welcome any comments and suggestions, as I'm not sure this one really works very well.

Thanks, Lisa. This was a great challenge idea.

Brenda Jennings

8 comments:

Joni said...

Brenda,
What wonderful Sunny Sunflowers! The silk background you dyed really sets them off. Very nice. Joni

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Yes Brenda...I agree...it is hard to do abstract! But be sure to read what Susan said in her comment to me. It's very good advice! I believe you did a wonderful job abstracting your sunflowers, and I too love your green silk background!
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Brenda, I like this piece very much with it's muted colors and stylized flower petals. Lovely contrasts in shapes...circles, pointed daggers and curvy lines. And you cropped it beautifully, making the three flowers much more interesting than if you saw them all fully. Great job
Cynthia

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Brenda, these do look like a field of sunflowers, I love the spiked petals. Great job.
The only thing that I might have added were some straight pieces, representing stems, but marching across the piece???

Carole said...

Hi Brenda.. what a lovely piece... s soft. I like the spikey sunflowers and that background fabric is beautiful. I sure hope it meets with your local groups approval... as in a ribbob? by any chance?
And your quilting is excellent!
Well done.

anna k. said...

Brenda
I love the stylized petals and the colours. You have certainly achieved that end of summer feel
Anna

Anonymous said...

Love your fabrics. The quilting is beautiful. My favorite part of this are the dead brown leaves. I like that they echo the shape of your petals and only suggest their presence.

LAQuilts said...

I like your abstraction of the sunflowers - they are very vibrant and feel like sunflowers with much less detail.