Thursday, September 03, 2009

Addiction, A Trap, A Prison


This piece was made in transparency as I worked to come to grips with how an
addiction can overtake someone's life and they think no one knows....

I reworked the 'fabric' of a previous challenge, used Organza, fused and stitched the man shape to the back of the Organza and draped behind the figure a
coarse net which is what comes down to a point.
Technically there are 4 layers and you can see right through it.
Click on it to enlarge and you will see how some of the words to the poem are visible in the piece itself. [representational]
I used twine interlocked and twisting to portray the 'trap'.. the fabric bars..
the 'prison'.
It is intentionally sombre and simple.
Size: 24 x 60

This is the poem I intend to place at the top... as an epitaph:

Addiction, A Trap, A Prison
Torn and shattered,
Nothing in life mattered,
Not family, not friend,
Too many fences to mend.
Trapped! Imprisoned!... a life shattered.

A slave to my vice
I was not even nice,
I withdrew, I hid,
Not a response to anyone's bid.
Trapped! Imprisoned!... alone with my vice.

A family loved me, but I could not see.
I was alone, that is how it would be.
Nothing in life mattered,
It was torn and shattered.
Trapped! Imprisoned!... Just me....


Comments welcome.

Addendum:
This is not quite finished... I will do the sides of the organza, perhaps burning, and when I attach the poem, I am also thinking of a 'key transparency'..a symbolism, of course, indicating there IS a way out....
I sure appreciate the comments thus far.
I am awaiting your comments before ... closing the chapter'.
Thank you so much, so very much.

16 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Devastatingly Awesome! I am so very moved...
Cherie

janice pd said...

This is turning out wonderful Carole. It's come a long way from the first time I saw it.

Betty Warner said...

Very powerful! and large!
I am having trouble seeing the words you mention. It could be my monitor, my lack of imagination, or my old eyes, but can you point me to them. I admire you ability to express so much simply and effectively.

Carole said...

Hi Betty.. and anyone else that may wonder the same thing...
First...
Thank you for your comments.
There are no words... symbolism only on the piece. the
'fabric' I reworked from another Challenge... is really 'worked over'.... it
is tattered, ragged in places, the ends are not finished....
The 'words' are the Poem and I will... if people think it is a good idea...
write them to fabric and secure them on the top... as an epitaph.
Does that help?

Betty Warner said...

Carole:
Now I see it. Sorry for being so literal. The idea of adding the words as an epitaph is great. It becomes part of the piece, but in a way remains separate and does not effect the power of the scene as it is. This is a brave piece. Thank you for sharing it.

Roberta Ranney said...

Carole, This is a very moving piece and I appreciate your willingness to share the backstory with the group. I believe the addition of your poem would make it even stronger. You have brought tears to my eyes this morning and I am grateful.

Your friend,

Roberta

Linda Mac said...

This is a very moving piece. Many of us know such a person. Congratulations to you for being able to present this tragedy so beautifully. Definately add the poem. That says it all.

Designs by Janice Simpson said...

Carol I sent my coments to Linda sorry please read there takes me so long to type thanks Janice Simpson

Designs by Janice Simpson said...

Carol I see there are more than one Linda...sent to Linda Mac with the horses...sorry Janice Simpson

Carole said...

Janice Simpson said:

Carol,your quilt and poem are wonderful and do tell the story many of us have experienced. I would with your permission like to copy both poem and quilt when you add the symbolisim indicating there is a way out...for my nephew...I cried when I read your poem very inspirational.
Janice Simpson

Monty Wilson said...

I'm so glad you took on this challenge. It was obviously more than a quilting project. As everyone else said, it is moving. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Joni said...

Carole, this is extremely powerful and poignant. You can feel the myriad of emotions in this piece, and ache for the imprisoned one. A key of hope is already in the poem with the switch to the past tense and the realization that they were still loved. It would be great to represent that hope in the composition as well. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carole, this is a powerful piece beautifully executed...wonderful job, brave one
Cynthia

Linda Cline said...

You have tackled difficult subject manner well. Yes, it is a moving piece, and I think your intentions with the piece have come through.

Sandy said...

Hi Carole,
indeed your piece is very moving, and I think made more so with the use of the transparent fabrics. the words "A shadow of his former self" come to mind.

and if you are the same Carole who was worried about horizons, I actually think you achieved the Low Horizon very well. It is kind of implied with the horizontal piece at knee level.

I really liked the meaning that comes with the fences having been "mended" with the flowery fabric that has a vintage feel. I think you have been able to evoke the same sort of feel that Linda Colsh's ambiguous elderly ladies do in her work. So, even without knowing the story or poem, the piece resonates for the veiwer.

And as for finishing the edges, even with burning, I think it works well as it is...the raw emotion sort of aspect, without being tidied in anyway. what do you think about this...instead of burning you could just fray it a bit more?

thanks for being open with the story. It must have been hard for you.
take care,
Sandy

fastfriday said...

Powerful for any viewer as well as obviously for you....can certainly understand why your daughter would want it. I agree with Sandy on the edges......probably doesn't need the burning. Love the "boken glass" at the bottom.
janice in Houston