Saturday, January 01, 2011

Challenge 52 "Undulating Colors", Pam Clark


After studying all the links, I remembered that I had some blocks that I had created in a class taught by Scott Murkins on strata quilting. I felt that these blocks met many of the requirements of Color Fields. I saw some samples that were divided into squares, and I felt this quilt needed that. I tried to arrange the blocks so that colors were grouped together to give a feeling that the colors are flowing across the piece and running off the edge. Not being an art major, I'm not sure if my piece qualifies as a typical Color Field quilt, but I certainly did learn about a new type of art that I had never studied before, and it broadened my horizons in quilting. Thank you, Betty, for the great challenge and I applaud all the quilters who have already submitted their beautiful works of art.

6 comments:

LAQuilts said...

I think your traditional 9 patch is anything but traditional, I like that you took this concept and brought it back to the traditional quilting.

Betty Warner said...

This is very interesting. I think you met your objective of having the colors flow through the piece and feel like they are going off the edge. I think each one of the grids could be called color field standing on its own, but when put in to the grid, the label no longer applies. I am really happy you chose to do this work. It offers lots of possibilities. Terrific job!

Joni said...

This quilt is captivating with it's fluid motion and vivid colors. It really brightens up a dull winter day.

Pam Harris said...

What a great way to use "orphan" blocks!! Very pleasing quilt with great color and textures in the fabric. Interesting use of non traditional blocks in a tradional setting. Very Cheery quilt.

Linda Mac said...

I love the movement and flow of this piece. And the bright cheery colors.

Carole said...

Yeah... I know the grid doesn't count in Color Field... so I am wondering [and I know it is too late].. if you had just sewn them together without the grid. The colors are fantastic.. and flow like lava. You must be so pleased!